Joe began competing in sports and martial arts at an early age and trained with some of the most respected trainers and athletes in the country. In addition to placing first in numerous tournaments, he is a two time gold medalist in karate for kumite (fighting) in the Garden State Games (the New Jersey State Olympics). He also played varsity football and baseball in high school in a very demanding division that included nationally ranked schools. Joe ended his sports career playing college baseball until he graduated.
Upon graduating, Joe moved to Maryland to pursue his career as a State Trooper. After successfully moving up in the ranks as a Trooper, he medically retired in August 2017 after a successful 12 years. During the time a Trooper, Joe was also the Strength and Conditioning coach for the William Patterson University men’s Division II Ice Hockey team located in Wayne, New Jersey. In 6 years as a Strength and Conditioning Coach, they achieved:
- 5 SECHL Championships (2010,11,12,13, and 16)
- 6 National Championship Appearances
- 7 SECHL Championship Appearances
- 2 team members went on to play Professionally
In October 2011, Joe competed in 2011 World Police and Fire Games in New York City in boxing, placing 4th in his division. Joe has been dabbling in CrossFit-type workouts since his time at the police academy. He pursued his CF Level 1 certification in 2012 to bring CrossFit to Calvert County. After opening Iron Foundry Athletics, home of Calvert CrossFit, in 2013, he’s never looked back.
Since opening in 2013, Iron Foundry Athletics has successfully trained:
- 1 World Record holder in Power Lifting
- 2 Female 1st Place WPFG Power Lifting Champions
- 1 dual State Record holder for Maryland and Virginia Male Power Lifting
- 1 Female Maryland State Record holder in Power Lifting
- over 15 Medals while competing on the IFA Power Lifting Team
- 2 Professional Athletes (one for the NFL, one who played professional Women’s Volleyball)
- 20 Collegiate Athletes in various sports competing in Divisions I,II and III
- Over 100 high school student athletes attending WCAC schools including Ryken, Dematha, St. Johns, and St. Francis High School, Leonardtown, Great Mills, Chopticon, and the Calvert County school system.
Joe was also part of the UMBC Strength and Conditioning staff in 2017. Joe Assisted training all Division 1 Varsity sports including men’s and women’s basketball and lacrosse, men’s baseball softball, track and field, cross country, and volleyball. He created strength, conditioning, and mobility workouts for injured and red shirt athletes.
Joe currently holds the position of head strength and conditioning coach at Ryken St Mary’s Collegiate High School. Joe brings a lifelong interest and experience in fitness training to the clients of Southern Maryland and for those who are competing, an understanding of what is required to compete successfully and be a champion.
Education: Exercise Science Degree BS
Favorite Cheat Meal: too many to list. Bagels from Jersey, Hot dogs from Rutt”s Hutt, Burgers from White Manna, Pizza from Lombardi’s in NYC.
(CPPS) Certified Football Preparation Specialist
USA Weightlifting Sports Performance Coach
CERTIFIED SPEED AND AGILITY COACH (CSAC)
CROSSFIT LEVEL 2
CROSSFIT LEVEL 1